10 May Tips for Safe driving in the UAE’s Bad Weather
The UAE may seem like all desert and sand but that doesn’t mean it experiences scorching heat all year round. UAE is an area that is prone to various types of bad weather including thunderstorms, rain and hailstorms. Recently these have been increased in frequency as compared to before. Such weather brings with it disruption of daily life as well as traffic on the roads.
Driving in such weather can be troublesome for many drivers. Therefore, it is important to know some of the safe practices of driving in bad weather particularly in the UAE. Driving in such a weather is different as compared to normal. There are some tips that you need to consider while driving in bad weather including low visibility and tyre slipping along with others.
Here are a few tips, according to each possible weather in the UAE, which motorists can use to have a safe journey even in adverse weather conditions.
Safe Driving Tips in the Rain
During the rain, the roads tend to become slippery as there is less friction on the surface. As a result, handling and stability of a vehicle becomes tricky. With a little malfunction or negligence during such a time, the driver can be faced with a dangerous situation. These can easily be avoided while driving in the rain by making slight adjustments to the driving style.
Following are some of the driving tips that can be adopted while driving in the rain:
- Strictly avoid speeding during a downpour, ideally reducing it by at least 5-10km/h compared to your speed in a normal day. Speeding in rainy conditions can cause the car to hydroplane, making the car float on the water.
- So, if you are traveling in the car and it hydroplanes, it is safe to say that there are some maneuvers that you can adopt to get your car under control and prevent it from spinning. Firstly, you would have to take your foot off the accelerator. Secondly, keep the steering wheel as straight as possible and let the vehicle cruise at a steady speed. As the speed of the vehicle slows down, it will reduce friction and make the car stop skidding.
- As rain cause reduced visibility, it’s advisable that you keep the windshield wipers on constantly, in order to clear the windscreen of water and mud. This will allow better vision and attention on the road.
Rain in the UAE is an incident that can happen anytime in summer or winter, therefore it’s important to be prepared to handle the vehicle safely in such a situation. Here are some of the preparatory tips that drivers can adopt for driving in case of rainy weather:
- It’s essential that you keep a check on the lights of the car, whether they are fully functional and working properly. Headlamps and fog lights are important as visibility gets low during a rainy weather, which may cause difficulty for other drivers to see you as well as for you to see other approaching vehicles.
- In order to get rid of the fog as well as extra water from the windshield, it’s advisable that you use water repellent to clear the windscreen while driving in the rain.
- Its experimented that wearing polarized sunglasses by drivers can actually help in making vision clearer during rain.
Safe Driving Tips on Wet Roads
Rain is not the only reason for roads to have a slippery and wet surface. Adverse weather like a hailstorm and thunderstorm can also get the roads dangerously wet and this is where the risk of a fatal road accident can be maximized. If you want the risk to be minimized while driving in such conditions then here are some practices that you need to follow:
- Driving fast on a slippery road is the worst mistake by a driver. Before starting your journey, give yourself an extra 20 to 30 minutes to commute compared to your normal routine so that you don’t rush during the journey.
- Attentiveness on the road is mandatory especially while driving in a tricky weather like this. Avoid tailgating other vehicles as it may require the use of brakes a lot.
- You may want to use the cruise control for such a weather if you have the option, but it’s advised to avoid it as it may accelerate your vehicle unnecessarily.
- In order to control your vehicle on wet roads, the brakes have a pivotal role to play implying that you use them sensibly. Don’t slam your foot while applying the brakes but apply them a little earlier than you need to as well slowly. This will keep the car from skidding.
Safe Driving Tips during Hailstorm
You would think driving during rain is potentially perilous. What’s even dangerous is driving in a hailstorm as your car may be exposed to solid snow pellets. Here are some tips that you can use to be safe while driving in such a weather condition:
- One of the safest practice that you can observe is to not drive at all if there is a heavy hailstorm in your area.
- If you are out driving and are coincidently hit by a hailstorm, one of the first things to do is to find a safe place to park your car. Ideally, you can park it in a covered parking lot, but if you can’t find one nearby, try parking it under an underpass. If that is not an option you can avail then park your car at the side of the road, take out the car mats and cover the windscreen to protect it from the snow pellets.
- While parking your car, make sure that the car is parked at an angle so that the snow pellets don’t damage the glass on your car, allowing it to break.
- While you wait in the car, it’s better you cover yourself with a blanket and lie down while keeping your back towards the windows of the car.
Safe Driving Tips during Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm is another adverse weather that is experienced in the UAE and it can surely disrupt the traffic flow of the area. As a result, drivers have to face challenges while driving in such a weather condition. Visibility tends to decrease considerably due to heavy winds, making it a challenge for the drivers to focus on the road.
Nevertheless, there are some tips that you can adopt in order to aid you in coming out of this dangerous weather condition safe and sound:
- Ensure that you leave well before time in order reach your destination, if you know the thunderstorm is in forecast beforehand.
- Be slow and steady while you are on your way and maintain focus. Rushing and panicking can cause more damage than good. Try to avoid anything coming towards your vehicle.
- If the winds are becoming more intense, it’s advisable that you pull over to a safe place or from a safe distance to traffic.
Car Safety Features Used to Tackle Bad Weather
With the advancement in technology in the auto industry, there are now numerous modern car safety features that are used for driving in bad weather condition. They significantly reduce the probability of a dangerous road accident and keep the vehicle occupants safe. Following are some of these features:
Anti-Lock Brake System: While driving on slippery and wet road surfaces, having your car wheels locked is the last thing that you would want. ABS prevents the locking of wheels and keeping the vehicle from skidding. This grants the driver to have more control over the vehicle.
Traction Control: This feature prevents the wheels of the car from skidding while driving in heavy rain. It is achieved by maintaining the same spin levels for all the wheels of a car.
Electronic Stability Control: This system keeps the steering of the vehicle under control and applies the brakes automatically to the right wheel that may be sliding unnecessarily.
These are some of the tips and precautionary measures that drivers can use while driving in severe weather in the UAE. With a hint of sensibility and precaution, drivers can surely come out of an unfavorable weather safely.
If you want to sell your used car in the UAE, don’t forget that SimplyBuyAnyCar.com buys any car in any condition and offers the best resale value for it.